THE OFFICIAL ROMAN CATHOLIC DIOCESAN WEBSITE
San Juan de Dios: In the 16th century there was a hospital of St John of God exactly where old St. Bernard's Hospital was. It was founded by a very rich Gibraltarian, Juan Mateos. He had taken pity on the sufferings of the sailors that arrived in Gibraltar and had converted his home into a hospital. Eventually he run into debt and had to beg. Tired and tom out by the hard work, he died in 1594, but not before arranging for the Order or St. John to carry on his work of looking after the hospital. A convent and church were built by the friars next to the hospital and remained there till 1704 when the hospital was converted into the Blue Barracks. In 1708 the buildings were used as stores. In 1816 it became the civil hospital and later the Colonial Hospital.
The Convent: The Governor's residence and The King's Chapel were a Franciscan Convent. The entrance was at the back (what is now Governor's Lane). The friars had arrived in Gibraltar soon altar 1462. They built the convent between 1480 and 1531. It stretched up to the area occupied today by the John Mackintosh Hall.
Nuestra Senora de la Merced: This was a Convent with a church adjacent to it built around 1581 by Fray Juan Bernal, personal confessor to King Phillip H of Spain. It was situated in Irish town (formerly called Calle de la Merced) on the site of Cloister Building. In 1651 it became a monastery of white friars . Because of the danger of raids, underground passages were constructed which linked "La Merced" to other churches. At the beginning of this century local wine merchants used part of these chambers as bonded stores in what is now Horse Barrack Lane. A door in one of these underground rooms opened up to a tunnel which led to La Merced and columns dating back from that period are still there today.
Santa Clara: St. Clare's was a convent for nuns. The church was dedicated to St Anne and was situated between what is now Tuckey's Lane and Bedlam Court. The convent was built around 1587. It was converted into barracks after 1704 (Bedlam Barracks).
San Juan Laterano: Another church stood on what is now Cornwall's Parade. This area was called Green Market. The church dated from 16th century and stood between what is today the end of Governor's Street and Gavino's Passage.
La Vera Cruz: The Church of the True Cross was in what is now Main Street where Centre Plaza now stands. It was kept on as a church with a Franciscan friar in charge. Mass was said regularly. In about 1713 it was used as a church store for images. Later it was put to lay uses.
San Juan el Verde: This church stood in the South District in what is now Witham's Road where St. John's Court stands today. In 1587 it was under the protection of the knights of St. John of Malta. The roof was green hence the name 'Verde'. Part of a column of this church now stands at the back of The Cathedral of the Holy Trinity (Anglican) at Cathedral Square, indicating the way to the Gibraltar Museum.
Hermita de Nuestra Senora de Las Misericordias: This was a hermitage hospital and foundling asylum of a considerable size dating also from the 16th century and stood between what is now Pitman's Alley and City Mill Lane.
Hermita de Santa Rosa: St. Rose's Hermitage used to date from the 16th century and stood where Vineyards Housing Estate now stands.
Nuestra Senora del Rocio: This was another 16th century hermitage situated at what is now known as Rosia Bay . This bay was known as 'Bahia de Santa Rosa' hence the name 'Rosia'.
Nuestra Senora de los Remedios: Another 16th century hermitage which stood at the Southern end of what is now Naval Hospital Road. This was also converted into barracks in 1726 and was later demolished to make room for the Old Naval Hospital.
Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe: This small chapel stood inside what was later El Hacho Signal Station on Signal Hill.
Capilla de San Juan: St. John's Chapel stood at the bottom of what are now Cumberland Steps. As late as 1947, part of this chapel was still visible.
The Chapel of Ease: The entrance arch of this 16th century Chapel is to be found opposite the Gibraltar Museum in Bomb House Lane at the back of The Vicarage.
The Royal Chapel of Nuestra Senora de la Piedad: This also dated from the 16th century and stood on the site of the present Alexandra Battery on he South Mole.
Nuestra Senora de la Cabeza: Within what is now the Moorish Castle Housing Estate stood this church of 'Our Lady of the Head'. This was the church of the old district known as Villavieja. It dated from the 15th century and was used as a magazine during the siege of 1727.
Nuestra Senora del Rosario: Of this 16th century church only the doorway exists today. When the church was converted into a store the doorway was preserved and was incorporated into the larger St. Jago's Barracks, where presently the Income Tax Office is housed. The doorway can still be seen from Main Street near South Port and Referendum Gates.
Las Angustias: This 16th century chapel occupied the site between the bottom of what is now Engineer Lane and Main Street.